Self tanning is something that makes me feel really good about myself! I’ve been experimenting with self tanners since college and have come to find a routine and products that work exceptionally well. I’m excited to share my process with you today and I hope that this takes away any fears that you have about self tanning. Prior to going on vacation, I always get a spray tan but weekly, I self tan to give myself some color. I just find that I feel so much better about myself and how I look if I do! So here’s the scoop:
- Start by exfoliating in the shower. I used to use a fancy exfoliator but I find that my skin isn’t all that dry so if I just use plain soap and a washcloth and gently scrub my body, that works just fine. I do this the night before I self tan…I am not someone who can sleep in self tanner. I MUST be clean before getting into my bed. Period, end of story! If you can sleep with tanner on though, this would be an optimum time to do it!
- The tanner I am currently using shows color immediately and deepens over a 2 hour period. The longer you leave it on however, the deeper the color will be. I try to leave mine on a minimum of 4-6 hours. Typically, I’ll put it on in the afternoon, throw this dress on (or joggers and a loose shirt if it’s cooler out) and then shower it off in the evening. In the Summer, when I have more of a base tan, these are my go-to tanning wipes. The color mimics that of a spray tan so personally for me this time of year, it is too dark.
- A tanning mit is essential. With this little, inexpensive mit, you won’t transfer tanner onto your hands and wind up with them being orange! Pump tanner onto the mit, look in a mirror, and begin your application! I use a circular motion- make sure to do the underside of your arms, wrists, knees, elbows and ankles well as these are areas where color will sit and look splotchy. I usually go over those areas several times to ensure the color is evenly distributed. Let it dry for a few minutes and get dressed.
- For my face, I use these tanning drops mixed with my sunscreen. I do that about 3 times per week and use 3-4 drops each time. This gives my face a nice glow.
- Makeup For Body- Maybe you have a wedding to attend, will be at a brunch in shorts for the first time since Winter…or even at the beach for a BBQ. I’ve got two products that do similar things that will make your body look flawless. Like you’re wearing an HD filter on your body. These products are NOT self tanners however they will give your skin a luminescent glow and hide any imperfections (veins, red spots…). You simply apply and then wash it off when you want. The color is just temporary until you decide you want it gone! This is an easy solution if you don’t want the lasting color of a self tan or if you want to give your self tan an added boost. Typically I apply on my legs, arms and/or chest (basically anywhere pasty skin is exposed). I find that this one has more of a shimmer so if that’s not your jam, this would be the one for you (rumor has it all the celebs used it at the Oscars)!
- Will these products stain my sheets/clothes? In short, no. I never have anything transfer to my towels after I shower and have seen zero transfer to sheets or clothes (having said that, I usually wear black just in case).
- What do I do if I make a mistake? If you miss a spot and notice it several hours later, just go over that spot with a small amount of tanner. If you’ve overdone a spot, make a mix of baking soda and water and gently scrub over the area!
- How long will it last? Mine lasts a minimum of 5 days.
- Can I use the Loving Tan on my face? You can. I don’t and prefer the drops but would consider using it in the Summer on my face. With my coloring, I think it would be too dark right now!
Shop My Self Tanning Favorites